Thursday, December 2, 2010

DIY: Gold Leaf Canvas

You may recall me showing this picture earlier in the week in regards to my newly created buffet art. I got the idea from Joi. I love her blog and totally think you should check it out. She's even a fellow thrifter like myself!


Here are the supplies I used:

  • Blank canvas
  • Spray adhesive
  • Two packets of gold leaf paper
  • Gold leaf sealer
  • Acrylic paint
  • Foam brush


First I painted the canvas a dark turquoise and let it completely dry.



Next I gave the canvas a once over with spray adhesive
(I used a light weight adhesive- perfect for leafing projects)

I let it sit for about 20 minutes and slowly & carefully applied the gold leaf paper.
When that was all said and done I used the foam brush to scrape off excess leaf flakes. I purposely did a little extra scraping to get the color to show through in random spots.
I then applied 3 coats of the leaf sealer and let it dry.

And here it is all finished:





I love the way it turned out!
I know how hard it is shopping for art so why not just make your own instead?






1 comment:

Joi said...

I love the scraping look of it! Fabulous job, girl!